Azhdaya Ravenwolf
Site Owner

~ Beltane Associations ~

( Beltane, Beltaine, May Eve, May Day )

Celebrated:

April 30th/May 1st (traditionally)

15 degrees Taurus (astrologically) - This year, May 6th

Colors:

Traditionally, red and white. Some pinks and pale greens may be added.

Candles:

Goddess-red, God-white (red for Her blood, white for His semen, though I have seen the colors reversed. I am assuming this is due to the fact that red is projective ([God] and white is receptive [Goddess], but I do not recall any real explanations.)

Altar Cloth:

Red and white, but please, let’s not do the Italian restaurant thing, even if you are Strege!

Herbs:

Woodruff, strawberry, hawthorn, myrtle, lily of the valley, patchouli, dandelion. Depending on where you live, it may also be cherry blossom time...

Stones:

(Fertility, gardening and lust stones; red stones); green agate, malachite, opal (yeah, like we have these in excess—still, it is a great God/Goddess stone and therefore appropriate to this holiday.), carnelian; not seeing the rationale in print anywhere, but bloodstone would also seem appropriate.

Foods:

Oatmeal, foods with dairy products, foods with strawberries, mushroom, oysters and other aphrodisiac qualities.

Ritual Drink:

May Wine or strawberry tea. Drop a fresh strawberry into the ritual cup; daminana or KavaKava tea; as a last resort, Snapple’s Strawberry Kiwi drink would also work, as would the Tropicana Twister with strawberry and banana!

Music:

"Cup of Wonder" by Jethro Tull (lyrics)

"Beltane" by Jethro Tull (lyrics)

"Jack-in-the-Green" by Jethro Tull (lyrics)

"The Green Man" by Shaman (lyrics)

"Huron Beltane Fire Dance" by Lorena McKennitt

"Morning has Broken" by Cat Stevens (lyrics)

Other Associations / Activities:

Weaving and plaiting Make a wish for something that you wish to initiate and bring to fruition. Braid ribbons of red and white, stating "Through Lord and Lady, this wish I bind, blessed be this cord entwined." Hang your braided wish on a tree or bush, so that it is "out in the elements". If possible, hang it on upon a hawthrorn, as this is especially associated with Beltane.

http://everythingakasha.homestead.com/files/BeltaneAssoc.htm

April 9, 2011 at 6:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.