Azhdaya's Laire

Here to Learn & Share ~

Grimoire ~

Forum Home > Let's Celebrate Together! > Trick or Treat for a Cause ~

Azhdaya Ravenwolf
Site Owner

By Melissa Breyer, Senior Editor, Care2

My favorite costume idea? Active Global Citizen. This can come in any form–mermaid, ballerina, superhero–it just requires a twist on the candy-collecting tote. By swapping the orange plastic jack-o-lantern with an orange Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF box, your child can collect donations for needy children. The idea is simple, to help empower children to make a real difference in the lives of their peers in need around the world.

Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF began 58 years ago with a small group of kids in Philadelphia fund-raising door to door with milk cartons to collect donations to support UNICEF’s mission: Helping to save, protect and improve the lives of children around the world through immunization, education, health care, nutrition, clean water and sanitation. And it’s pretty remarkable what the cost of a mini-Snickers can provide. Think of this: A mere 3 cents can protect and boost one child’s immune system and prevent blindness for a year with Vitamin A capsules; 50 cents can immunize one child against polio for life; $15 can buy one carton of high-energy protein biscuits to support and rehabilitate three severely malnourished children for one month. It’s embarrassing to think of our children gorging on high-fructose corn syrup rubbish while 5 million children a year die from malnutrition.

Now for the tough part, convincing your second-grade flower fairy to forgo the candy corn. In my case, if we had started this from the get-go, it would be easier–but we’ve already walked down the decadent dark road of traditional trick or treating and a complete about face seems a bit cruel. I mean, I really don’t condone the candy orgy that begins on Nov. 1, but I have to admit those were some magical moments in my childhood.

So I’m trying to devise a plan whereby my girls can partake in some moderate Halloween indulgence, while still supporting the UNICEF mission. Maybe we’ll make some wholesome candy before trick or treating for donations, maybe we’ll plan a special ice cream sundae excursion to celebrate their success or maybe we’ll alternate between the UNICEF box and a candy tote. I’m not sure what we’ll do–do you have any good ideas?

You can order collection boxes which will be mailed to you in a complete Trick-or-Treat Fund-Raising Kit, with additional materials to help with your campaign–you can use this order form. You can also download can-wrappers for the greener, DIY version. . . .

http://youth.unicefusa.org/trickortreat/

October 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.