Azhdaya's Laire

Here to Learn & Share ~

Grimoire ~

Forum Home > Altars ~ > Creating the Altar ~

Azhdaya Ravenwolf
Site Owner

Feel free to share how YOU set up your Altar and items you use . . .

July 18, 2011 at 12:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Azhdaya Ravenwolf
Site Owner

Some Basic Items I use on my Altar:

Usually, in our Rituals & Practice, there are  5 "essentials"  needed in building the  foundations of an Altar  (something to represent each of the Elements) . . .

Here are some items I typically use:

1. Linen Cloth, Stick/Wand or Flower Petals (Earth)

2. Incense (Air)

3. Candles (Fire)

4. Holy Water (Water)

5. Consecrated Sea Salt and/or Pentagram (Spirit)

You can, of course, use a variety of items to represent the various Elements and add additional items, depending on the purpose of the Ritual and/or your personal preferrences . . . Anything that means something to you and/or holds power is fine.

Don't have the items? . . . Check these out:

http://azhdayaslaire.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2516542

Blessed Be ~

Azhdaya Ravenwolf

July 18, 2011 at 1:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Azhdaya Ravenwolf
Site Owner

How I Build my Altar:

I usually set aside a clean, special spot (facing one of the 4 Directions - East, West, North or Sout - depending on the Ritual).

I begin by laying down the Linen Altar Cloth (I usually like to arrange it on a diagnol, just for asthetic purposes - also, it seems to accentuate the 4 corners).

I then place a bowl in the center and pour the Holy Water into the bowl.

Then I float an arrangement of Tea Ligth Candles (usually 3, depending on the Ritual or Purpose) in the Bowl of Water . . . If I have them available in the garden, I will sprinkle some fresh Flower Petals into the Bowl of Water with the Candles & I many or may not have additional Taper Candles, either in the background or on either side of the Altar (usu. just for asthetic purposes).

I usually place an Incense Burner & Incense Stick in front of the Bowl.  Or, if I am using either a Stick/Wand or Flower/Plant or other item to represent the Earth, I will usually have it to one side of the Bowl and place the Incense-burner (whether in Stick form or Cone) to the other side of the Bowl.

Finally, I will either have a Pentagram on the Wall above & behind the Altar, if the Altar is set up against a wall.  Or I will have a representation of the Goddess or Univeral Spirit (i.e. Statue or Figurine, Small Pentagram, etc).  Or I will use items with such representations built in (Goddess Candle-holder, Pentagram on Incense-burner, etc.) . . . Althernately, I may sprinkle some Consecrated Sea Salt in a closed Circle around the Altar and/or Ritual Space or in the shape of a Pentagram for Protection.

July 18, 2011 at 1:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Azhdaya Ravenwolf
Site Owner

How do YOU build your Altar? . . . Share your ideas!  :)

July 18, 2011 at 3:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seawitch

I use a table that leads a normal life when it's not an altar, I never did get into the habit of using an altar cloth myself, to much work getting wax out of them! My past as a sea witch, well....joining a coven never really got that out of me altogether, is reflected in marime things here, anchor style candle holders, sea salt, hag stones,a scourge made from a piece of the Cutty Sarks rope made to look like the 'horse tail' held in the hand of that ships figure head..... http://www.seawitchartist.com/cuttysark-figurehead.htm , the items on it where gathered over quite a long time, some things expensive, some things for free, they all 'fell into my hand' that is they suit me. For God and Goddess symbols I use two Horse brasses, one depicting a solar symbol, the other a lunar one. All this evolved over some years, the bottom picture is the ollder one, notice the changes?
July 30, 2011 at 4:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mystikal Melita

It's wonderful SeaWitch.....will have to find a picture of mine to share.

--

Photobucket

August 17, 2011 at 8:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mystikal Melita

Found an older picture in my Photobucket.....guess I need to update a little also.

Photobucket

--

Photobucket

August 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Azhdaya Ravenwolf
Site Owner

Thank you for sharing your Altars, Seawitch & Mystic Melita!!

March 12, 2012 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.